- newHow to Navigate the Unpredictability of Travel in the Age of Climate Change
Climate change upheavals brought on a season of extremes for travelers in the U.S., Europe and beyond. One thing is clear: Travel is changing.
- 3 hours ago 28 Sep 23, 5:58am -
- newWant to Spur Green Energy in Wyoming? Aim for the Billionaires.
One man’s quest to lure climate investment from the wealthy enclave of Jackson underscores how the climate law works: It runs on rich people.
- 5 hours ago 28 Sep 23, 4:00am -
- newStudios and Striking Actors Will Resume Talks on Monday
The two sides announced the step a day after the leadership of the Hollywood writers’ union approved a tentative deal that ended its monthslong strike.
- 11 hours ago 27 Sep 23, 9:23pm -
- newGovernment Shutdown: What Services and Benefits Could Be Affected?
Many federal agencies have plans in place to weather a shutdown, but a disruption would still affect critical government services.
- 15 hours ago 27 Sep 23, 5:28pm -
- newA Government Shutdown Could Disrupt Air Travel, Officials Warn
If the government shuts down, air traffic controllers and Transportation Security Administration officers will continue to work, but they will not be paid until the shutdown is over.
- 16 hours ago 27 Sep 23, 4:55pm -
- newU.A.W. Says It Could Expand Auto Strikes on Friday
The United Automobile Workers union said the strikes against General Motors, Ford and Stellantis could grow on Friday if negotiators don’t make enough progress.
- 16 hours ago 27 Sep 23, 4:40pm -
- newMeet the A.I. Jane Austen: Meta Weaves A.I. Throughout Its Apps
Meta introduced artificially intelligent characters based on Jane Austen, Snoop Dogg and others into Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp, as the race to lead the technology heats up.
- 16 hours ago 27 Sep 23, 4:37pm -
- newLina Khan vs. Jeff Bezos: This Is Big Tech’s Real Cage Match
The chair of the Federal Trade Commission wants to disrupt Amazon, whose founder built a trillion-dollar firm by disrupting retail.
- 16 hours ago 27 Sep 23, 4:19pm -
- newThe New ChatGPT Can ‘See’ and ‘Talk.’ Here’s What It’s Like.
The image-recognition feature could have many uses, and the voice feature is even more intriguing.
- 17 hours ago 27 Sep 23, 4:03pm -
- newWith Strike Over, Late Night Shows Will Return Next Week
Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel and Seth Meyers said their shows will return on Monday after a five-month hiatus.
- 17 hours ago 27 Sep 23, 3:32pm -
- newWhat the U.S.-China Chip War Means for a Critical American Ally
South Korea’s vital semiconductor sector depends on China. A deadline looms for how it could be affected by U.S. efforts to control China’s tech advance.
- 17 hours ago 27 Sep 23, 3:21pm -
- newLas Vegas Hospitality Workers Authorize Strike at Major Resorts
Unions representing 60,000 workers across Nevada have been in talks with the resorts since April. The vote is a crucial step toward a walkout.
- 19 hours ago 27 Sep 23, 1:54pm -
- newLina Khan Finally Takes On Amazon Over Its Market Power
The F.T.C. chair, who published an influential law school paper on the e-commerce giant, is now fighting the company over its market dominance.
- 19 hours ago 27 Sep 23, 1:27pm -
- newBritain to Allow Big North Sea Oil Field, Despite Climate Concerns
A go-ahead for a long-delayed $9.4 billion drilling project is expected to support the oil industry and provide energy security, but environmental advocates were outraged.
- 19 hours ago 27 Sep 23, 1:18pm -
- newU.S. Government Shutdown Is Unlikely to Cause an Immediate Recession
White House and Wall Street estimates suggested the economy could withstand a brief shutdown, with risks mounting the longer it lasts.
- 20 hours ago 27 Sep 23, 1:16pm -
- newTo Bring Socializing Back to Social Networks, Apps Try A.I. Imagery
Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat and several newcomers are betting on artificial intelligence to rejuvenate the fun, interactivity and whimsy of creating and sharing images.
- 20 hours ago 27 Sep 23, 1:09pm -
- newFTX Chief Once Met With Powell. Now D.C. Crypto Lobbyists Are Struggling.
FTX’s demise and its leader’s upcoming trial haven’t stopped a major lobbying push by the industry this week, but the events have changed its tone.
- 20 hours ago 27 Sep 23, 1:04pm -
- newOil Prices on a March Toward $100 a Barrel
Analysts have raised their forecasts for oil prices, as they try to understand Saudi Arabia’s intentions with recent production cuts.
- 21 hours ago 27 Sep 23, 11:50am -
- newHow Training Repayment Agreements Trap Employees in Their Jobs
Workers who sign training repayment agreements can owe their employers thousands of dollars if they leave their jobs early. Regulators are starting to crack down on the practice.
- 21 hours ago 27 Sep 23, 11:42am -
- newNew York’s Best (Fake) Steak House Opens Up
Mehran’s Steak House was just a name, created as an in-joke. But when its waiting list drew hundreds, the pranksters decided to stage dinner — for one night only.
- 21 hours ago 27 Sep 23, 11:36am -
- newTravelers Who Need Visas to Visit Europe Face a Monthslong Wait
Travelers who require short-term visas to visit Europe say they face monthslong delays, jeopardizing their travel plans and making an already unpredictable system worse.
- 23 hours ago 27 Sep 23, 9:27am -
- Gen Z Is Poised to Spend More on Debt Than Others. It Could Derail Retirement.
Young adults are struggling to keep up their credit scores and paying an increasing amount of disposable income servicing their debts.
- 1 day ago 27 Sep 23, 8:00am -
- Las Vegas and Its Big, Big Ambitions
This shape-shifting desert city is in the middle of a reinvention that involves sports stadiums, Formula 1 and the Sphere: a 360-foot-tall, high-tech, traffic-stopping amphitheater clad in 1.2 million LED screens.
- 1 day ago 27 Sep 23, 6:01am -
- Trump, Weighing In on Auto Strike, Has a Mixed Legacy on Unions
The former president will be making a campaign stop in Michigan on Wednesday amid the United Automobile Workers’ strike. He has both appeased unions and sought to circumvent them.
- 1 day ago 27 Sep 23, 2:00am -
- Truck Stops Upgrade to Recharge Electric Vehicles (and Their Drivers)
Highway travel centers are adding amenities like restaurants and dog parks to accommodate the expanded dwell time of electric vehicle owners.
- 1 day ago 26 Sep 23, 11:44pm -
- E.U. Law Sets the Stage for a Clash Over Disinformation
The law, aimed at forcing social media giants to adopt new policies to curb harmful content, is expected to face blowback from Elon Musk, who owns X.
- 1 day ago 26 Sep 23, 11:00pm -
- Hollywood Writers to Return to Work as WGA Votes to End Strike
The leadership of the Writers Guild of America voted to end a 148-day strike. Members will start voting on the deal’s ratification next week.
- 1 day ago 26 Sep 23, 8:59pm -
- Overlooked No More: Alice Anderson, Who Ran Australia’s First All-Woman Garage
Her car repair business was described as having a staff “capable of doing the jobs any male member of the automobile industry would undertake.”
- 2 days ago 26 Sep 23, 7:59pm -
- Biden Administration Plans to Bring Back ‘Net Neutrality’ Rules
The head of the Federal Communications Commission said the government needed to protect open access to the “essential infrastructure of modern life.”
- 2 days ago 26 Sep 23, 5:11pm -
- Biden Joins UAW Picket Line in Michigan
The president’s trip came a day before former President Donald J. Trump was scheduled to arrive in Michigan, as the two offer dueling messages in a key swing state.
- 2 days ago 26 Sep 23, 4:46pm -
- Target, Citing Theft, to Close Nine Stores
The retailer will close locations in New York, San Francisco, Seattle and Portland, saying its business had been hurt and the safety of employees and customers was at risk.
- 2 days ago 26 Sep 23, 4:32pm -
- FTC Sues Amazon, Accusing Company of Illegal Online Retail Monopoly
The Federal Trade Commission and 17 states sued Amazon, saying its conduct in its online store and services to merchants illegally stifled competition.
- 2 days ago 26 Sep 23, 3:01pm -
- ‘Unprecedented’ Secrecy in Google Trial as Tech Giants Push to Limit Disclosures
Efforts to seal testimony have increasingly raised questions as the federal antitrust case enters its third week in court.
- 2 days ago 26 Sep 23, 2:46pm -
- For Amazon’s Andy Jassy, a Cleanup Job Just Got a Lot Bigger
The F.T.C. accused the internet giant of protecting an online retail monopoly and forcing higher prices onto consumers.
- 2 days ago 26 Sep 23, 2:30pm -
- JPMorgan Settles Epstein Suit With U.S. Virgin Islands for $75 Million
The bank agreed to pay $75 million to settle with the U.S. Virgin Islands and reached a confidential settlement with a former top banker who pushed to keep the disgraced financier as a client.
- 2 days ago 26 Sep 23, 1:21pm -
- New York Public Radio to Cut 12% of Work Force
The chief executive of New York Public Radio, which operates WNYC and the classical music station WQXR, said the organization was facing a “free fall” in advertising.
- 2 days ago 26 Sep 23, 1:12pm -
- Las Vegas Review-Journal Faces ‘Fire Hose of Hatred’ Over Outdated Headline
Social media users seized on a weeks-old story in The Las Vegas Review-Journal to falsely accuse it of lying about the death of a retired police chief who was killed by a hit-and-run driver.
- 2 days ago 26 Sep 23, 9:18am -
- Can the U.S. Make Solar Panels? This Company Thinks So.
First Solar kept producing them in Ohio after most of the industry moved to China. President Biden wants many more domestic manufacturers.
- 2 days ago 26 Sep 23, 7:51am -
- Why Biden and Trump Are Courting Striking Autoworkers
The president and his leading Republican rival are heading to Michigan to address members of the U.A.W., whose political clout is growing.
- 2 days ago 26 Sep 23, 6:25am -
- Slowing, Graying and in Debt, Can China’s Industrial Heartland Be Revived?
China, facing an economic slump, wants to make its industrial northeast more productive, turning to policies that some economists say have outlived their time.
- 2 days ago 25 Sep 23, 11:43pm -
- Ford Halts Work on E.V. Battery Plant in Michigan
The company cited concerns about operating the factory competitively. It’s not clear if the pause is linked to its dispute with the United Auto Workers.
- 3 days ago 25 Sep 23, 6:01pm -
- Hollywood Turns to Actors’ Strike After Writers Agree to Deal
The studios and the actors’ union haven’t spoken for more than two months, but a deal is needed before the entertainment industry can fully return.
- 3 days ago 25 Sep 23, 5:45pm -
- Amazon to Invest Up to $4 Billion in A.I. Start-Up Anthropic
With its investment of up to $4 billion, Amazon is seeking a bigger footprint in A.I. development, one already established by rivals like Microsoft and Google.
- 3 days ago 25 Sep 23, 2:08pm -
- Writers Guild Deal With Studios Reflects Power of Unions
Reports suggest that screenwriters won concessions from Hollywood studios on key issues. That reflects the strength of unions’ hands in the current moment.
- 3 days ago 25 Sep 23, 11:13am -
- Writers Guild and Studios Reach Deal to End Their Strike
The Writers Guild of America got most of what it wanted. With actors still on picket lines, however, much of Hollywood will remain shut down.
- 3 days ago 25 Sep 23, 9:33am -
- Greece, Battered a Decade Ago, Is Booming
It is one of Europe’s fastest-growing economies, and while investors and tourists are flocking to the country, memories of austerity measures are still fresh for Greeks.
- 3 days ago 25 Sep 23, 8:46am -
- Meet the Climate-Defying Fruits and Vegetables in Your Future
Hot-weather cherries, drought-resistant melons and six other crops in the works that could change how we eat in a fast-warming world.
- 3 days ago 25 Sep 23, 8:12am -
- How Dana Perino, G.O.P. Debate Moderator, Walks a Fine Line at Fox News
The former press secretary in the Bush White House will moderate the next Republican debate. She’s managed to rise at Fox without being a Trump supplicant.
- 3 days ago 25 Sep 23, 7:29am -
- Air Force Receives Its First Electric Air Taxi
Joby Aviation delivered the aircraft, which can carry a pilot and four passengers, to Edwards Air Force Base in California for testing.
- 3 days ago 25 Sep 23, 7:00am -
- Writers’ Strike Ends With Tentative Deal: What Happens Next
Before Hollywood gets fully back to work, writers need to vote on the tentative agreement, and talks between companies and striking actors must restart.
- 3 days ago 25 Sep 23, 6:38am -